The Covid School Conga

Sitting in our living room/virtual school room.


Even before Covid hit, due to Dot’s medical condition, my mom was pressing me to homeschool the kids. I told her that it wasn’t my plan because I’m a high strung type of mom. All of the schooling for both kids would fall upon me - with their other parent working full time (out of the home at an office that I drove him to and from our whole existence living together and married).

Darren and I agreed when Dot was a baby that we’d treat her the same as any other kid. She gets no real special treatment around here due to her condition.  I’ve enough on my plate, to be honest.

Dot working hard during Art Class.

Then Covid-19 hit and we were essentially forced into homeschooling or virtual learning.


Their desk setups didn't last all year. They ended up taking classes anywhere but at their desks - whatever gets the job done, kids! 

It’s still hard work, but definitely different than when I homeschooled myself in 7th & 8th grades while my mom worked full time out of the house. For one, there’s a lot more online support and supplemental materials, which I loooove! It’s still been nice having the guidance of the teachers to plan the lessons and help us parents when we have questions. So still someone else is doing half of the hard parts of homeschooling or virtual school.

D (Darren is my co-parent and legal partner) took over John’s schedule and I have Dot’s. It’s worked okay for this year, but now I’m already thinking about next school year.

If school doesn’t offer virtual learning and there is no time for an effective vaccine to be administered before school even begins - where does that leave medically fragile kids and families like mine Anyway, I guess I’m going to try and not worry so much about things I can’t yet control. I also don’t want to spend all summer stressing out about what the next school move will be.

See how thrilled John was on the first day of Virtual Learning? 

It’s getting better, but we’re all out here still having to make super hard decisions surrounding Covid and risk. I’d love to know that I’m not alone in my concerns. It feels like everyone else is getting “back to normal”, but I’m still stuck with this very real threat of Covid and protecting my medically fragile kiddo, the one with asthma & my mom who lives with us but is on oxygen & will be for the foreseeable future. 🙃

How is everyone else handing the "re-opening" of the world? Better than I am, I hope! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLOSED - GIVEAWAY - Happy Neuter Day !!

Super Sexy Summer Twitter Party !!

$100 Target Gift Card Giveaway ! CLOSED