Top 5 Tips For A Stress Free Hospital Stay
Since Dottie had major cranio surgery this past Wednesday, I thought I'd talk a little about having a stress free hospital stay, so here's my top 5 tips for a stress free hospital stay for you or your kiddo.
Dottie with her Nana Kathy before surgery.
1. Bring all of your meds. You'd be surprised how many times you will forget the dosage or name of your medicine, so just bring it all with you so the medic staff will have a clear idea of what your prescription and OTC needs are.
2. If your kiddo is in the hospital, be sure and bring their favorite toy or blanket. This will go far in helping them to relax and feel more at home.
3. Chargers, Chargers, Chargers. Bring them, bring extras and also grab your power bank if you have one. There are typically long hours of doing absolutely nothing in hospitals, so you want your iPad, cell phone or laptop to have plenty of power to get you through your stay.
4. Advocate for yourself/loved one. If you're unsure as to what's happening or why you're receiving a specific medication, ask. You are your (and your kiddo's) best advocate. Ask, ask, ask and tell. You know yourself and your child better than anyone else, so speak up!
5. Locate and read your hospital resource guide if you have one. My daughter's looks like the picture below, and has saved me from asking a ton of basic questions like hour of the cafeteria, or where vending machines are located.
With the tips listed above, I believe you will have a very successful and restful hospital stay.
Dottie thinks so too!
What are some of your best tips for having a pleasant hospital stay?
A special thanks to Dell Children's Medical Center in Austin, Texas for taking such good care of my Dottie girl!